About Listening to LibriVox
There are several options for listening. The first step is to get the audio files (mp3 or ogg vorbis) into your own computer. There are two main ways to do this:
1. Thrice-weekly Podcast
We podcast one book at a time, with three audio installments a week. To subscribe to our podcast, copy and paste this URL into your podcatcher:
If you use iTunes, the subscription will happen automatically if you click on this URL:
Once you find a book you like, there are a few options to listen, including:
Download the zip file of the entire book
You can download a “zip” file that contains all the individual files of an entire book. To do that:
- “right-click/save as” the “zip file of the entire book” onto your hard drive
- once it is downloaded (it might take a while) double click the zip file, to open it
- then use a media player (itunes, winamp, windows media player) to play the files
Subscribe in itunes
You can download an entire book using the subscribe feature in iTunes. To do that:
- click on the “subscribe in iTunes” link from the catalog page
- this will launch itunes (say “yes” if your computer asks), and import the whole book into iTunes
- In iTunes, under “Podcasts,” you should see: “LibriVox: the-book-title …” Click the little black triangle to the left of the title to see all the chapters. Click the “get” button by each to download it.
- For more detailed instructions, see Subscribe in iTunes
Now that you’ve got some of the mp3 or ogg files in your computer, you can listen to them in several ways. You can listen through your computer speakers using your favorite audio player. You can load the files into an iPod or other portable audio player and listen when and where you like. You can burn the files to an audio cd and listen to them in the car or on your home stereo.
For more detailed instructions, see our User Guide to Listening.
If you have any troubles, please contact kayray, with subject line: “LibriVox help.”