LibriVox recordings are Public Domain in the USA. If you are not in the USA, please verify the copyright status of these works in your own country before downloading, otherwise you may be violating copyright laws.
If you have troubles downloading files, please try again later. Technical problems usually resolve themselves quickly. If the problem lasts longer than 24hrs, please contact us.
« Catalog Index
by Herbert Allen Giles (1845-1935)
Herbert Allen Giles (1845-1935) spent several years as a diplomat in China and in 1897 was appointed Cambridge University’s second professor of Chinese. His published works cover Chinese language and literature, history and philosophy.
This series of lectures, published as “China and the Chinese”, was given at Columbia University in 1902, to mark the establishment of a Chinese professorship there. The lectures were not intended for the specialist, more to urge a wider and more systematic study of China and its culture, and to encourage new students into the field.
While many of the observations are just as relevant today, others will remind us how much China has changed since the period of the Manchu Qing dynasty in which he wrote.
(Summary by David Barnes)
- Gutenberg e-text 18021
- Wikipedia – Herbert Allen Giles
- M4B audiobook of complete book
- LibriVox’s China and the Chinese Internet Archive page
- Zip file of the entire book (129.2MB)
- RSS feed · Subscribe in iTunes
Read by David Barnes
mp3 and ogg files
- Preface – Lecture 1 – The Chinese Language – 00:45:27
[mp3@64kbps - 21.8MB]
[mp3@128kbps - 43.6MB]
[ogg vorbis - 23.8MB]
- Lecture 2 – A Chinese Library – 00:46:14
[mp3@64kbps - 22.1MB]
[mp3@128kbps - 44.3MB]
[ogg vorbis - 24.7MB]
- Lecture 3 – Democratic China – 00:43:56
[mp3@64kbps - 21.0MB]
[mp3@128kbps - 42.1MB]
[ogg vorbis - 23.4MB]
- Lecture 4 – China and Ancient Greece – 00:42:22
[mp3@64kbps - 20.3MB]
[mp3@128kbps - 40.6MB]
[ogg vorbis - 22.5MB]
- Lecture 5 – Taoism – 00:43:15
[mp3@64kbps - 20.7MB]
[mp3@128kbps - 41.5MB]
[ogg vorbis - 23.3MB]
- Lecture 6 – Some Chinese Manners and Customs – 00:47:55
[mp3@64kbps - 23.0MB]
[mp3@128kbps - 46.0MB]
[ogg vorbis - 25.4MB]
Cataloged on May 9, 2006